Thursday, November 18, 2004

I am to have a good one

Whenever I go to the gym on the local military base (it's not as scary as it sounds. Sure there's a few no-necked uber-buff men there, but you get that at any gym. It's just that there's more military-issue moustaches at this gym) the comissionaire always says "Have a good one!" as I enter the base. Often when I leave, the guy behind the front desk at the gym also says "Have a good one!"

I have no idea what the proper response for this command is. Is it "back at ya, dude!", or "true dat!"? I don't know. Part of the problem is I don't know what the "one" in question is. It's not a good workout, because the comossionaire doesn't know that I'm headed to the gym (and why would they say it when I leave as well?). I know it's not a beer, or he would say "Have a cold one!" It's not have a good day, because they also say it when I'm the last one to leave the gym at 11:00 at night. And why "have a good night"? Why not just "good night!"?

Anyone have any suggestions?

3 Comments:

Blogger chelle said...

So... I believe the phrase "have a good one" is to be molded to whatever the situation is. While the sun is out... they probably mean 'enjoy your day,' if it's night time, 'enjoy your evening.'
I'm from Hawaii and over here we're lazy. We like to keep things short. We have one word that can describe anything and everything, you just gotta think of the context of it all. You say 'da kine' (I guess literally translated as 'the kind') to describe anything. Now, sometimes things can be ambiguous, but most of the time it works! It's good to keep things short and sweet.;)

9:47 PM  
Blogger Evil Robot Boy said...

True dat!

From now on I'll answer with "Yes SIR!". It's a base. They'll understand.

11:12 PM  
Blogger Evil Robot Boy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home